Check out Aimee Song’s video above for everything you need to know about fashion week!
Upcoming Fashion Week events in New York, Miami & Los Angeles
History of Fashion Week
Initially called Press Week, Fashion Week began in New York City in 1943. During World War II, the fashion shows of Paris were canceled because of Nazi occupation making it impossible for U.S. journalists to travel to France for fashion inspiration. Without the influence of French-designed creations, who would American fashion designers turn to?
Enter Eleanor Lambert, a fashion publicist who saw the opportunity to promote the work of American designers. Lambert invited the media to Press Week in New York as an efficient way for journalists to see the best of the best in one place at one time. This was a chance for American designers to showcase their innovations, gain international attention and thus divert attention from Paris.
Fashion Week Fun Facts
New York Fashion Week
- Home of the original Fashion Week, which was founded in 1943
- The first of the “big four” Fashion Weeks held every February and September
- Outgrew “the tents” of Manhattan’s Bryant Park and moved to the Lincoln Center for Performing Arts in 2010
London Fashion Week
- Founded in 1984
- Organized by the British Fashion Council
- Immediately follows New York Fashion Week
- Held in Somerset House
- First major show to live stream the event
- Introduced men’s collections in 2012
- With more than 5,000 press and buyers in attendance, exceeds coverage of most major news and worldwide sports events
Milan Fashion Week
- Founded in 1958
- Organized by the National Chamber for Italian Fashion
- Immediately follows London Fashion Week
- Exhibiting designers have included luxury Italian designers Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Versace and Prada
Paris Fashion Week
- Founded in 1973
- Organized by the French Fashion Federation
- Hosts the finale of the “big four” Fashion Weeks
- Held in Carrousel du Louvre
- Showcases the major designers’ collections, including top French designers Chanel, Givenchy and Christian Dior
- Previews haute couture, which is only allowed to be shown in Paris, earlier in the year and exhibits ready-to-wear collections during Fashion Week
Miami Fashion Week
- Founded in 1989; discontinued in 1998 and restored in 2005
- Highlights trends in swimwear fashion, cruise wear, resort wear, and more
- Promotes international swimwear brands from all parts of the world
Fashion Week Online
Founded in February 2011 (originally as Fashion Week Dates), Fashion Week Online is the first website wholly dedicated to organizing the international fashion week calendar, hosting live streams from the “Big 4,” and helping promote and demystify fashion week for the press and general public. Their goal is to champion diversity, popularize and promote fashion week, and give emerging designers the ability to be seen and discovered.
Aimee Song | Song of Style
Aimee Song, who has risen to mega-influencer status with 5 million followers on Instagram, is best known for her fashion blog “Song of Style“, her YouTube channel, and recently published her second book, “World of Style“.